Sunday, April 4, 2010

First of many, I hope.

  I used to be really active. Cycling was my thing for many years. I loved it! There was nothing better than waking up, getting dressed, hoping on my bike and going for a long ride. Even though I had a car while in college, I rode just about everywhere(if being sweaty wasn't a big deal).
 
Once I moved from AZ, it was a real buzz kill feeling like I couldn't just walk out my front door and go for a ride. Living on the East coast wasn't as open, and bike paths were no where! The idea of having to put my bike on a rack everytime I wanted to go somewhere was a bummer! I did enjoy swimming, but biking was my first love. Now running, well...I have a real love/hate relationship with that sport. I would love to "love" running. I did as a kid. I was fast. As an  I tried  many a time to get in to it, but it just never was any fun. I  when my feet get hot or hurt, and running seemed to always cause both. I admit, I never paid more than maybe $30 for sneakers in the past  as I always looked for what was on sale.

  I no longer have my racing bike(long story). I didn't have access to a pool for many years so swimming has not been something I have kept up with. Not too long ago I decided I needed to do something. I loved playing tennis, but don't have enough "free" time for lessons or joining a club. One of these days I really want to get a new road bike, but until then, running seems like my cheapest and most convenient option. Yuck!
 
  Since my decision to run I have researched shoes, socks, training methods, etc. I signed up for a 5K in June because I need motivation(why would I want to run for the heck of it?). I went out and bought good shoes from Fleet Feet. I bought 3 pairs of socks for $10 each! Ouch! I printed off my training schedule for working up to running 30 min.without stopping. Then I began...

  Never for me has starting a running program been so easy and enjoyable. My new shoes are great, my socks were worth every penny as now my feet don't get hot at all. Every day that I do just a little bit more leves me feeling good about myself. Although I don't like the fact that I have gained 2-3 lbs after maintaining my weight for more than a year! Muscle right? we'll see...

  Hannah and I signed up for a local 5K run/walk. She wanted to do the run, but since we signed up before I started the running madness, I said "no way!" Walking fast is good for me thank you. Race day was yesterday. I awoke to rain, and not just a drizzle either. Do I go? By the time I needed to get going the rain had stopped, I got Hannah up and she got ready. We signed in, stretched, chit chatted with some people we knew and then headed for the starting line. I really felt like I could have ran but we signed up for the walk. Off we went. I admit I ran a little, it just felt good. I wasn't looking to win anything at all, I just wanted to finish with a reasonable time and be proud.
 
  Well, turns out Hannah and I did really well! I took 1st overall for female Masters(I'm 40 now you know), and Hannah took 1st for her age division too. We got trophies. I don't think it was that big of an accomplishment though, as there weren't many walkers. But we did have good times. 37.02 and 37.04


  We are going to sign up for a run in May. I know I won't get a prize this next time, but I will be able to run the whole thing, and hopefully I can beat my walking time! I am pretty fast at walking. I now really love  to run. On days I don't do it, I think about it and want to. Cool. We fessed up to the fact we had ran a bit and they still let us keep our prizes, as they said we might have won anyway. This just shows you how few walkers there were!

2 comments:

Stuart and Kimber said...

woo woo!! Congrats!!

Michelle said...

Hey congratulations! I admire your goals. I feel like I should do the same thing and I have never loved running but would love to at least "like" it!! My uncle has a great training program. I'll see if I can send it to you. Way to go!