So I started a book club with some women from church. I love to read and needed to have something to get me through the winter and Zoloft just isn't going to cut it! I have wanted to do a book club for sometime and I figured there is no time like the present! I read just about everything except textbooks. I leave that boring stuff to Byron. He is my reference library when I need it! On a recent trip to Costco I picked up a few books that I thought looked promising. I have read the others I got and enjoyed them. I saved this one and thought I would use it as my first book for the club. It sounded uplifting.I started it last night and let me tell you, it's great! Most non-fiction doesn't usually suck me in right away but this one did right off the bat. It's about a man who in 1993 failed in an attempt to climb the K2. As he wandered down he got lost and ended up in an impoverished Pakistan village. He was completely moved by their kindness, and promised to return and build a school. Not only did he do this but over the next decade he built 55 schools especially for girls!
So if you are in need of a good book to lift your spirits I would recommend this one for sure! Also, if you have read a good book let me know, maybe I haven't read it and I could use it.
6 comments:
Hey I'm trying to finish my book before our book club meets at my house on Friday. It's called "The Book Thief". It is really good so far! It is written really well. I will try yours soon. Now what is that thing to the left of your book on the table? :)
It's a bees wax spiral candle from Sundace Catalog. Pretty cool huh?
Hey, I know that author! He lives about 20 miles from me and has two kids and a cool wife. He gave a presentation at the Bozeman library a while back, and MAN, it was cool! He's also in the January issue of Outside magazine. It's so inspiring what a difference one person can make!
PS: A couple of my favorite books ever are (personal essay style)--An American Childhood by Annie Dillard (she is my favorite author) and Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott
If you ever see him tell him I think he is absolutely amazing! That book has inspired me, truly it has. I can't even say...
I saw this story on the Today Show! It does sound great. I might have to add that to my eer growing nightstand. I didn't realize it was made into a book. I must have turned the TV off for that part.
Post a Comment