Friday, April 24, 2009

What I've been watching




We joined Netflix not too long ago and it's great!!! I love that I can watch lots of things on my computer an if I have a movie sent to my house I don't have to worry about late fees! Plus, by searching for things on the computer I feel I can find more variety. Usually when I would go to the video store I have a few children tagging along. When that's the case it's find a movie fast and get out before the store is reduced to rubble!

Since I am involved in a monthly book club I haven't been reading as much as I like. I read pretty fast and if I finish the clubs book and get too many others in between it and the meeting I can't remember much. So with that I have have been watching documentaries. These are just a few of the ones I have seen. It has been great. They are sad sometimes but so inspiring too!

With what we hear and read from the media on a daily basis it is often more than I can handle. Everything is always just so negative. There really are good things going on in the world. People really are good and help those in need. I need doses of this kind of stuff, it helps me plug along. It also inspires me to want to be a better person.
Years ago I moved back East to be a nanny. My real dream was to join the Peace Corps but a friend enlisted me to be a live in babysitter instead. In many ways I enjoyed the experience but I would like to think that if I had did the Peace Corps instead I would be richer(life wise). There is no need to regret however since that isn't productive. My new dream is to work with the Church Humanitarian Aide. I wouldn't mind serving a mission someday in this area of service but I hope that an opportunity to serve comes sooner. Byron mentioned to me that it would be cool if they offered "vacations" where one could travel abroad to do service on a mini scale. I am sure there is something like that out there I just have yet to investigate it. He said he would take time off work so I could spend say 2 weeks in Ethiopia or somewhere. How cool is he?
For now though I will focus on my kids for a little longer and keep up with he documentaries. Maybe when Rachael is a bit older I will consider this more seriously. Anyone wanna come with me?




4 comments:

Martie said...

I do. I'm not kidding. Did you know this has been my dream as long as I can remember??

Count me in!

Martie

Michelle said...

Some people in our ward run an organization called "Care for Life" and they go to Africa...my mind is a blank...where they speak Portuguese.. for two weeks every summer helping the children and women in the community. All year long we help them get things together. I want to go with them one of these summers and I'm hoping that Jessica can go next summer and use her portuguese. I think you will have many opportunities one day! I'd like to watch your documentaries. I'll have to keep a list of them.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great plan. I love what you said about not regretting because it is not productive. I need to remember that.

Out And About Global said...

A family in our ward saved for TWO years, I am talking no christmas, no eating out, nothing for two years to afford the 25K price tag to take their family of 6 to Ghana for two weeks to help build a school. The price of the trip partly paid for school supplies. Anyway, they just got back this week and i am excited to hear their report.

I want to see pictures of your new house.