Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Official Tiger, Grrrrrr and Zoommmmmm...

A few weeks ago Jack's Scout pack had their Blue and Gold banquet. Here he received his Tiger badge. How awesome! He loves scouts so much and I am so happy to be included in the activities as his "Akela". They also had their pinewood derby. We worked hard on his car. I didn't know we would be able to cut out a car at scouts and since I don't have the right tools here in MS(my dad does in AZ!) we chose to purchase a car already cut out. With my OCD of course I researched and learned that more weight on the back was best. I also read that the less wood and more weight in weights was best. Jack wanted a semi truck, but I kinda convinced him to get a dragster of sorts.
He sanded, sanded some more, painted, sanded more, painted again and then put on his decals. He was so excited. Jack is very competitive and I explained that winning isn't everything and helped remember the scout motto "Do your best", in the hopes that if he did win he should be a gracious winner and if he didn't come in 1st he should be very happy for his fellow tiger and be happy for them.
Well race day came. I was asked to be the official photographer so I didn't get to hang with my family. For whatever reason they had the tigers racing last. So much for shortest attention span going first! Jack was so excited. Their were about 6 tigers in his den that entered cars. They were all so cute and creative! I had been concerned that Jacks car might not be heavy enough in the front, so I place a few weights to look like headlights. We never got to really try the cars out on a trial track to see how they would run. If this had happened, I would have found that we needed to place more weight up front.
I felt awful. His car came in last, because as it headed down the track it caught sir underneath and lifted just enough to slow down and wobble a bit on the track. Man I felt like the worst parent ever since I was the one who encouraged him to get the design he did. I wasn't wanting him to win really(if he did great) I just wanted him to at least not be last. I learned a very valuable lesson. Next year, he gets to pick out everything. I will still encourage him a little but for the most part, he can call the shots. Needless to say he was so very upset. Coming in last was tragic for him. UGH!!!!!!

Tiger cars. Jack's is the one in the middle, middle row.

Jack and Dennis.

Jack and his totally cool car, that just needed some adjustments!

I had a part in the Blue and Gold banquet ceremony. Read part of a story.

The tigers receiving their tiger marks from this "Indian" boy scout.

Me and my boy!

These Boy Scouts participated in the ceremony. They "marked" all the scouts advancing.

No comments: