I began asking my kids what they wanted to be for Halloween way back in June or July. Most of you wouldn't even be thinking of this right? Wish I was the majority. Once we narrowed it down I began gathering the items needed to put together the costumes of choice. Rachael was easy, she knew she wanted to be a dinosaur. I wasn't about to make that since sewing often is much more expensive. We bought it and she loves it! Hannah is going to be some thing called "The Gray Lady". We needed 8 yrds of gray tuille. That's not easy to find! Good thing I started early. Next came the 3" gray ribbon. Now that was pretty much extinct. I did manage to scrounge some up. Not what I really wanted but it will do. Hope it turns out the way it is in my head.
Next up, Jack. He wants to be "Link" from Zelda. Sounds easy enough right? A little green fabric, white leggings and a long sleeved t-shirt. Well... white leggings can't be found here in Mississippi. Only the colors of the rainbow. We opted for heavy cotton tights, and those were so hard to find in a size to fit him. There must be a bunch of 5-7 yr old girls hording white tights! Now for the tunic top. I am no "seamstress" but I get by. A tunic top, no problem!!! WRONG! I have made 2 attempts that failed. So last night after I finished teaching swimming lessons, I rush to the fabric store only to see it's closed. Crap! The only place left was Wal-mart(which I hate more than most things). I really wanted to get this darn costume finished before this weekend and didn't want to have to drag Rachael to another store for all this stuff. So I braved Wal-mart in Jackson, after dark...hummm is this really worth it?
I head back to the fabric dept. and no one is there. Surprise, surprise. I wait countless minutes and still no one shows up. I ask for help, clocks a tickin' and so is my patience. I finally give up, cut my own fabric and head to check out. I tell the cashier my issue. Thinking, how hard will it be to ring up 2 yrds @ 2.97. Well, apparently it's the most difficult thing ever. After a lifetime I make it home.
Let's hope I can get this thing made. Oh, I bought a pattern so 3rd times a charm I guess. In hind sight, I should have purchased the darn thing off of e-bay. With what I have spent in mistakes and gas, I would have come out on top! Good thing I ordered the sword and shield.
So, as you can see, I am not really that organized nor a "super woman". I am mearly aware of my laking in skills, that I know I need months of advance prep to get the job half way done! I shouldn't have let the cat out of the bag though. I should have had y'all still thinking I was super!

6 comments:
I had that exact same problem at wal-mart on an emergency late night fabric run for Dallin's class project. I ended up buying not quite the right thing from their remnant section so I could get the heck out of there while silently cursing the idiots that are wal-mart!
You haven't changed my opinion!
I had to laugh that you cut your own fabric. You go, girl!!
Martie
I agree with you about Walmart. Why is it always such an unpleasant experience shopping there? Josh calls the shoppers "Wal-martians". Anyway you are very prepared! You don't fool me. For example, you could be me...our ward Halloween party is Saturday and I haven't a clue about costumes for any of my kids. Kids think costumes magically appear the day they want to wear them. I keep thinking that maybe if I ignore Halloween that it will go away. I guess that won't happen. I guess I'll have to go to the dreaded "Party City". Ugh. You are awesome!
So how bad am I that we have next years Halloween costumes planned??
I second Michelle with the costume comment...me too and luckily living here in China where they don't celebrate it I only have to think about the little branch party we are having and be done with it! What you see is what you get kids! I'll be sure to post a pic.. you are awesome and I could totally picture you going through all that back and forth and got a good laugh too!!!
I still think you are super. There is nothing I like less than Wal-mart.
Post a Comment