About a year ago, before we left Michigan, I bought a piano at a consignment shop. I was cheap, in good shape as far as construction goes, but was hideous looking! I believe it was built in 1948. I guess at that time a "two tone" look was in. Part of the wood was covered in what, I don't know. Some sort of laminate type wallpaper looking stuff. It was ugly, mostly because it was ivory. The rest of the wood that was exposed was stained. Had it all been stained it would have been fine.
I guess at some point, whoever owned it didn't care for the ivory paper covering and chose to put a woodgrain sticker all over it. It didn't look too bad, but there was no way it was going in my house looking like that! I saw a diamond in the rough, that was really cheap to buy so I got it. I wanted a piano and at this point in time it seemed like an OK investment.
Since we moved to Mississippi the piano has been sitting in my garage. I didn't cover it or anything. Probably not the best idea, but oh well! I didn't have an immediate plan for it, but figured I could paint it.
I finally decided to tackle it the other day. I knew the laminate paper stuff would peel off as I checked awhile ago. I thought it best to get to it before it got too humid. I looked online for tips on painting a piano, bought paint, a sprayer, and a big piece of plastic to lay on the ground of the garage.
I first started taking it apart as much as I could. Surprisingly it was pretty simple. I peeled off all the paper, lightly sanded the adhesive to expose the unfinished wood, covered the keys and other stuff on the inside. I also recovered the bench seat in a really nice upholstery fabric.
This morning I got to the painting! What an ordeal. I have only used a sprayer one other time in my life and that was several years ago, and I painted walls not a piano! I probably should have purchased a smaller spraying tip to use on the smaller items, but it all worked out. I think I did a fairly good job. It's for certain not a professional job, but it looks so much better! It's drying now so I will take an "after" photo once I get it put back together. For now here's a "before" shot...


2 comments:
Ohhh!! Can't wait to see it!!
Good for you! I'm sure it'll look great! Josh was doing this for awhile~ buying pianos, painting, fixing replacing keys, tuning, restaining, and then selling for quite a profit. I think he did 4 of them and then decided it was too time consuming. I can't wait to see your after picture!
Post a Comment